Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Hat Is Off to You!

How should I say it...Hats off or Hat's off? Does it mean--'All hats off to you!' or 'My hat is off to you!'--which way to go? Is one wrong and only the other right?

Or, should we even say--'Our hats are off to you!'--also hats off? I wonder if it depends on context? What I really mean...would the human mind default to either one or something else? Would it even click right away to a possible error? Computer would not probably help you, would it? Humans would be smarter than computers in this area. I think so! In fact, I believe so!

Idiomatic expressions are probably the hardest to acquire from the stand point of an ESL student--next to the usage of prepositions--either simply as a preposition or as an adverb when attached to a verb, which could also be an idiomatic expression. If I have to be honest with myself, I will say I still fall into the pit if I run too fast. How many prepositions can be used with run to mean different things? It's OK to ask Mr. Webster! Ready, Go! -- run up [the stairs? the credit cards?], run out [of money], run away [ from the creditors? or simply him/her?], run after [a rich man? your dreams?] and many more to your heart's content.

Well, be careful then not to run up your credit card limits 'coz if you run out of cash, you may have to run away from creditors. Would it be running after a rich man next? And, if he runs out of dough, he'll probably find you running out on him. Just make sure you don't run back to him as he is bound to run you over to end his misery. Then, that's when you'll really run scared...so better end the running now. I'm not supposed to end it with a preposition, ain't I?
Running is not over...but you can do it with Mr. Webster another time. Stop! Red light...find out when you can or should split it. Scared is not a preposition...you're on your own! I'm splittin'!

*Originally posted @ http://zylla3.blogspot.com/

No comments: